For over 70 years, Fortna® has partnered with the world’s top brands
to transform their distribution operations into a competitive
advantage. Fortna helps clients make and keep bold promises to their
customers – fast, accurate and cost-effective fulfillment consistently
at every touchpoint, across every channel. Fortna's expertise spans
distribution strategy, distribution centre operations, material
handling automation, supply chain systems and warehouse execution
software systems. We built our firm on a promise – we develop a solid
business case for change and hold ourselves accountable for results.
The Director, Engineering EMEA (Director, Engineering) is responsible
for supporting strategic efforts, maximizing operational performance,
and achieving financial goals within the EMEA region. The Director,
Engineering is responsible for the EMEA engineering team and
coordinating global efforts with the head of Fortna engineering. The
primary focus is to actively manage all Material Handling Equipment
(MHE) engineering disciplines for the successful delivery of our
projects while also leading the continued build out of our engineering
team. Disciplines within the department include Mechanical
Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Application Engineering. The
role will be accountable for all Fortna's EMEA Material Handling
Systems engineering activities and be the gatekeeper for Quality
Assurance regarding the solution’s adherence to the business case. The
Director, Engineering must ensure that the optimum solution is being
engineered within budget and schedule constrains is critical. This
position will work with Software Engineering, Sales and EMEA
Operations Design/DC Design teams on various projects and work to
build strong working relationships with the leadership of the teams.
Additionally, this role will identify new and emerging technologies to
ensure that Fortna continues to display thought leadership in
integrated design and delivery.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
In addition to roles and responsibilities outlined in the position
summary, primary role responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Manage workforce planning, succession and development for the
Engineering department across the EMEA region.
- Accountability for the delivery and quality of Fortna’s
- Expert assessment of large scale MHE systems with regards to
functional and operational design.
- Ensuring that Project Coordination of EMEA Operations Design/DC
Design projects is occurring on all projects; leading and directing
the Engineering teams and other support staff in development of DC Designs.
- Building in quality control and mentoring Associates in
engineering system designs.
- Ensuring proper handling and relationship building with various
Supplier Partners to support that team understands new technology,
applications, and use.
- Attending trade shows, focusing on material handling equipment and systems.
- Determining which technologies are applicable to the design work
of Fortna and work to integrate it into our design and pricing tools.
- Working with Sales and Marketing teams to identify products,
systems and tools which meet Clients’ needs.
- Mentoring Procurement to support qualifying and adding new
Supplier Partners into Fortna’s database of suppliers based on the
best technologies for our solutions.
- Supporting the training and development of EMEA Engineers.
- Continuously maintaining an updated understanding of the Client’s
needs and business.
- Supporting the Sales team in developing winning strategies for Bid
& Proposal and Operations Design/DC Design projects.
- Expanding knowledge of material handling equipment, operational
efficiencies, software, and controls as it relates to Fortna’s
Clients and future Clients including all MHE technologies.
- Documenting all important items in clear, understandable language
for Associates to have a complete understanding of expectations.